top gear is quite enjoyable... my favorite has to be the amphibious challenge and the destruction of the Toyota pickup. glad i'm not the only one who appreciates the best thing to come out of Great Brittan since US.
If only! Ours was white, and don't you remember using the blow dryer to get the majority of the hideous red "pin-stripes" (6"thick ones) off of the car. Did you know how many people that thing could hold? Sam may remember better, but I think we got 12!
awesome to see real pictures. i've driven others since i totaled that one... never found one that compares... i see a dent in the rear hatch... Anyone remember where that came from? and Oh the system. and i do believe we got 12, and actually drove from West to Rugby with 8, if i remember correctly.
In a similar period of adolescent stupidity, I once raced some dude at break neck speeds, in the pitch-black of night, in the un-charted back woods of Mills River, in the Daihatsu, and won. It's the closest to Rally Racing, and death, I have ever come.
But man, did that thing ever feel fast that night!
Oh Boy! Remember when that car had "rims" on one side that were silver and the other side was.. gold? Sweet. I also remember either myself or Hope driving it on the freeway and you guys were behind ( if you were lucky,you were driving my sweet ride : ) ) And the reverse lights came on. You did have a killer system. I had no idea that that car lasted long enough for Sam to be lucky enough to own it. I definitely think Daihatsu's are underrated and underappreciated. (ok, maybe not, but they made a great first car! ) Matt makes fun of me that I ever drove one. He doesn't understand.
I have to admit that I was ticked when dad brought it home. It doesn't exactly strengthen the teenage male ego if you know what I mean. However, it ran like a dream, cost next to nothing to drive, was great in the snow, and was actually quite fun. So Sam and Laila, what was the final demise of the Daihatsu?
Final demise??? Oh it all came down to a dark and cold morning, a drive to seminary and a really dumb driver who decided to search for her hazard lights INSTEAD of driving her car out of the middle of the road. I don't know if the Dihatsu was actually totaled, but for the cost to fix it, mom and dad probably thought it was better to leave Sam (and mostly me) without car until I graduated and moved away...far far away. I would have to agree with them.
I love hearing about the crazy wild adventures this poor car used to have! I would say you guys used to be nuts, but I am not so sure the nuts part is over!
jeff I heard the lexus is yours and the jeep is just for bad weather. Aren't you going to let amber drive????
Let's get this story straight: Amber usually drives the Jeep because it is so stable in the snow and it has her school parking stickers on it. I usually drive the car because honestly, it's more fun. It's a stick shift and corners like it's on rails. However, we trade cars whenever we want or need to. That's just how we roll, .. currently.
Until i was talking to dad after the demise of the mighty 3 cylinders of fury, i never knew that some drivers wouldn't get off the brakes when they unexpectedly locked up. I'll attribute my desire to maintain control when the car locked it's brakes up to my immense training given me by PlayStation and Gran Turismo. When we came around the corner, and (laila asleep as usual on the way from dads office to the church for seminary, 5:58am, january or so) What I remember is i locked the brakes, came off the brakes and steered toward the ditch on the right side, Laila said "Brakes" and i responded "Ice" and then we hit, headlight on the drivers side of the charade to the tail end of a 89 or so Pontiac Firebird or some such. What i most remember, though is trying to find my glasses.. turns out that if you stop real fast, and wear glasses... they will end up under the gas pedal. who knew?!? And yes, when we spoke, she said she was looking for her hazard lights... I moved the car into the apartment complex driveway without touching the steering wheel. I will always miss that car. but i like my jeep better too.
23 comments:
was ours not a 2 door?
what a time warp!
i like the Lexus and Jeep better, bro
Busted! OK I'll look a little harder to find an actual picture of the old 3 Cylinder and replace this one when I do.
check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wF6DJr5v74&feature=related
Doesn't surprise me at all. I just wish it was Top Gear driving and not 5th gear.
top gear is quite enjoyable...
my favorite has to be the amphibious challenge and the destruction of the Toyota pickup.
glad i'm not the only one who appreciates the best thing to come out of Great Brittan since US.
If only! Ours was white, and don't you remember using the blow dryer to get the majority of the hideous red "pin-stripes" (6"thick ones) off of the car. Did you know how many people that thing could hold? Sam may remember better, but I think we got 12!
OK. These are all the true pictures I could find and yes, it is silver. If you have any pics to add, send them and I will post them here.
awesome to see real pictures. i've driven others since i totaled that one... never found one that compares...
i see a dent in the rear hatch... Anyone remember where that came from?
and Oh the system.
and i do believe we got 12, and actually drove from West to Rugby with 8, if i remember correctly.
12 and 8 whats?
in the height of our high school stupidity, we got 12 people into the car.
and drove with 8.
because we're that bright.
In a similar period of adolescent stupidity, I once raced some dude at break neck speeds, in the pitch-black of night, in the un-charted back woods of Mills River, in the Daihatsu, and won. It's the closest to Rally Racing, and death, I have ever come.
But man, did that thing ever feel fast that night!
It's probably all for the best that I've never heard this story before.
Oh Boy! Remember when that car had "rims" on one side that were silver and the other side was.. gold? Sweet. I also remember either myself or Hope driving it on the freeway and you guys were behind ( if you were lucky,you were driving my sweet ride : ) ) And the reverse lights came on. You did have a killer system. I had no idea that that car lasted long enough for Sam to be lucky enough to own it. I definitely think Daihatsu's are underrated and underappreciated. (ok, maybe not, but they made a great first car! ) Matt makes fun of me that I ever drove one. He doesn't understand.
I have to admit that I was ticked when dad brought it home. It doesn't exactly strengthen the teenage male ego if you know what I mean. However, it ran like a dream, cost next to nothing to drive, was great in the snow, and was actually quite fun. So Sam and Laila, what was the final demise of the Daihatsu?
Final demise??? Oh it all came down to a dark and cold morning, a drive to seminary and a really dumb driver who decided to search for her hazard lights INSTEAD of driving her car out of the middle of the road. I don't know if the Dihatsu was actually totaled, but for the cost to fix it, mom and dad probably thought it was better to leave Sam (and mostly me) without car until I graduated and moved away...far far away. I would have to agree with them.
I'll have to hear the whole story later. Sounds fun!
Awesome. Really, truly, irreplacably awesome.
I love hearing about the crazy wild adventures this poor car used to have! I would say you guys used to be nuts, but I am not so sure the nuts part is over!
jeff I heard the lexus is yours and the jeep is just for bad weather. Aren't you going to let amber drive????
Let's get this story straight: Amber usually drives the Jeep because it is so stable in the snow and it has her school parking stickers on it. I usually drive the car because honestly, it's more fun. It's a stick shift and corners like it's on rails.
However, we trade cars whenever we want or need to. That's just how we roll, .. currently.
Until i was talking to dad after the demise of the mighty 3 cylinders of fury, i never knew that some drivers wouldn't get off the brakes when they unexpectedly locked up.
I'll attribute my desire to maintain control when the car locked it's brakes up to my immense training given me by PlayStation and Gran Turismo. When we came around the corner, and (laila asleep as usual on the way from dads office to the church for seminary, 5:58am, january or so) What I remember is i locked the brakes, came off the brakes and steered toward the ditch on the right side, Laila said "Brakes" and i responded "Ice" and then we hit, headlight on the drivers side of the charade to the tail end of a 89 or so Pontiac Firebird or some such.
What i most remember, though is trying to find my glasses.. turns out that if you stop real fast, and wear glasses... they will end up under the gas pedal. who knew?!?
And yes, when we spoke, she said she was looking for her hazard lights... I moved the car into the apartment complex driveway without touching the steering wheel.
I will always miss that car. but i like my jeep better too.
Sam, you write so... cryptically. However I think I finally got it worked out with my secret decoder ring. Thanks for the update.
i have a picture. maybe that would help, but i can't post a pic on your comments.
Email it and I will post it.
Post a Comment